Companies are assured safety of their containers with 24-hour security, including video surveillance, 24-hour guards and a 16-mile radar. Additionally, the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code and the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) program have certified Port Lafito.
SSA Marine, the world’s largest logistics and terminal operator will manage Port and Terminal operations.
Cargo handling operations, the most important component of the port, will be driven by two Liebherr LHM 420 mobile harbor cranes, the first of their kind in the Caribbean.
- 124 MT maximum load capacity with 35.8 load capacity on the hook at 48 meters radius.
- The Liebherr cranes produce over 30 moves per hour, the most moves in Haiti.
- Diesel powered units with high-energy efficiency.
- Remote wireless monitoring tracks system status and key statistics including regular alerts to allow the team to maintain rapid crane uptime.
Additional Port equipment includes:
- 2 Taylor Reach Stackers
- 2 Taylor Top Loaders
- 1 Taylor 30,000 lb. Forklift
- 10 Bomb Carts
- 10 Mules
- 200 Chassis
- 16 Trucks
Additional details on hoisting heights, working speeds and equipment specifications can be found at portlafito.com/operation/equipment.
- March 2015 – Construction on Port Lafito began
- June 2015 – Mobile Cranes to arrive in Port Lafito
- June 2015 – First ship to arrive in Port Lafito
- July 2015 – Port Lafito official opening
Lafito Global is a fully integrated economic zone with over 400 hectares of oceanfront land developed by the GB Group. The development is 20 kilometers north of Port-au-Prince with several access roads linking main highways to northern, central and southern Haiti.
Lafito Global will consist of: an international container port, an Industrial Free Zone for manufacturing and distribution, an industrial park for local manufacturing and distribution, commercial and retail space, a new teaching hospital, a residential development, a golf course, and an island resort for recreation and leisure.
Lafito Global will contain the necessary infrastructure to support the programming plans, workforce and residents of the development, which includes:
- 40 megawatt of peak installed power (25 MW power plant during initial phase). Reliable power provided to approximately 150,000 people.
- Potable water and wastewater treatment facility with a 21-million gallon water reserve.
- 24-hour security to ensure the safety of workers, partners and all goods and equipment, including video surveillance, 24-hour guards and a 16-mile radar.
For more information, please see the GB Group Lafito Global Fact Sheet.
LAFITO INDUSTRIAL FREE ZONE
The second phase of the Lafito Global development will include the Lafito Industrial Free Zone (“LIFZ”). The Lafito Industrial Free Zone will increase new cargo with the potential to increase the entire market by 15-20 percent.
The Lafito Industrial Free Zone is just 1,000 meters from Port Lafito with 100,000 square meters of manufacturing space. It will be self-sufficient, including all necessary services and infrastructure to support daily activities.
The Lafito Industrial Free Zone will contain world-class manufacturing facilities and the critical utilities to service the tenants of Lafito Global. These include:
- 360,000 square meters total area with 100,000 square meters of manufacturing space alone to generate new volumes of business for Port Lafito.
- A 25-megawatt power plant that will provide reliable and competitive power to tenants of the Lafito Industrial Free Zone, Lafito Global and adjacent industrial companies.
- The first Tier III data center in Haiti, providing data, telecommunications, co-location and cloud services to a variety of companies with the potential to expand overseas.
- Key infrastructure including power, water lecand 24-hour security.
Once completely occupied, the Lafito Industrial Free Zone will accommodate up to 20,000 employees. The Free Zone has been granted all of the benefits afforded to free zones in Haiti from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The free zone regulations in Haiti combined with the U.S. HOPE (Hemispheric Opportunity through Partnership Encouragement) Act provide significant incentives for manufacturing companies to locate in Haiti.
GB Group Headquarters
Route Nationale No. 1